Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Writing Resolutions

So in my blog post yesterday I talked about my goals for this new year and of course it included my writing goals. My writing goal for this year is to finish the first draft of Dragons in Space. Alongside that I also want to write at least 1000 words a day. No matter if the words are for my WIP or my blogs or even my journal (although I'd have to count the words I hand write in my journals).

Right now I'm up to over 27,000 words in Dragons but I've gotten into more world building and character development lately. The more I write of this story the more complicated it seems to get. I mean, I've got two alien races I have to develop. That's a lot of freaking work.

And while I'm doing all this I need to brush up on some of my writing basics. So I'll be reading some writing reference books. I still have a few sitting around I bought a year or more ago that I haven't read. If y'all are interested I can review them as I read them here. I like to share knowledge.

So even though I'm not actively adding words to my manuscript I still want to write a little each day. I think 1000 words is reasonable for me. And just today I got handed an assignment for this Secret Story Swap over at the AW Forums. I'm excited and nervous about it because the prompt I was given is pretty broad. I can't go into more detail than that for fear that my giftee will read this. But this is all super exciting because right now, someone is writing a story just for me. :D

So, dear readers, what are some of your writing goals this year? Going to finish that novel or rewrite it? Going to find an agent or a publisher? Or just write 100 words a day? Tell me in the comments and have a Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment