Wednesday, June 12, 2013

WUW: Glorified Outlines

You said it Snoopy!


Just the other night I passed 70,000 total words on this first draft of Moon Dragons. But let's be honest here people, this isn't a first draft, it's a glorified outline that I spat out onto the screen. There are soooo many missing bits. Scenes I skipped so I could get to the more "exciting" bits and such. And then, my brain is not happy with a simple plot line told from the point of view of a single character, no! It wants to know what this character is doing over here and it wants to go take a peek at the bad guys over there. And don't even get me started on sub plots. I know they're there, waiting for me to trip over them.

*big deep breaths*

So, here's my plan, I've done this before and it worked pretty well. I'm going to stop where I am and go back to the beginning and do a more formal outline of my story. Find the scenes that I'm missing and write everything out so that I know what the heck I'm doing for my ending.

I've realized over the past couple of days that I've begun to meander in my story and I kind of lost my direction. I know where the end destination is, kind of, it's all kind of foggy. So I figure that if I go back and re-chart my course, maybe explore a few paths I ignored before, I'll have a better idea of how this all ends up.

And so, as it stands right now, I have a 70,000 word, glorified outline that I'm stuck on. Once I get a few more scenes figured out, maybe I can get to the real business of writing this thing.

Do you ever get like this when you write? Have to stop in the middle somewhere and go back to figure out where you were trying to go to begin with? Or do you just press forward and damn the consequences?

No comments:

Post a Comment